Czechoslovak War Cross 1939

Czechoslovak War Cross 1939

Czechoslovak War Cross was established by the edict of the Czechoslovak government on December 20, 1940 (during its exil in Great Britain during WWII). The validity of the war edict was confirmed after WWII in January 1946.

Československý válečný kříž 1939 avers Československý válečný kříž 1939 revers

Czechoslovak War Cross was established by the edict of the Czechoslovak government on December 20, 1940 (during its exil in Great Britain during WWII). The validity of the war edict was confirmed after WWII in January 1946.

The Czechoslovak War Cross 1939 was established in commemoration of the struggle for liberation of the Czechoslovak Republic from the enemy (German) occupation as a visible award for Czechoslovak citizens in the country, for units of the Czechoslovak Army in abroad and its members as well as for allied units and its members who took part in the War after 1939 and showed an outstanding and successful operating or commanding achievement where their live was exposed to danger or they lost their life.

Czechoslovak War Cross 1939 has only one class. The badge was handed over only when awarded first time. Next awards were marked by a bronze claps on the sash.

On the obverse of the cross was the small state symbol of Czechoslovakia, on the revers symbols of the lands in circles – symbol of the Bohemia in the middle, Slovakia above, Moravia left, Silesia right and Carpathian Russia below. In the spaces around the middle circle the era 1939 is spread. The sash is white with red and blue stripes.

Czechoslovak War Cross 1939 was awarded for life. The recipient was given a large certificate for the Cross.

After the death of the recipient the cross The Gross was left to the family or relatives but these persons were not allowed to wear it.

Back to main page